Friday, February 3, 2017


Valentine Party

In my last blog post I stated that our Valentine Party would be on Valentine's Day, February 14.  It has been decided to have our parties on Friday, February 10 instead.  That's a 12:00 dismiss day, so our schedules are going to be different anyway.  Rather than lose academic time on Feb. 14, we will do it on Feb. 10 since it's already a crazy schedule day anyway.  If your child is giving Valentines to classmates, please send them on or before February 10.


Goal Setting

Yesterday a substitute taught for me while I met with each student individually to discuss their mid-year test results and set goals for the end of the year.  It's quite refreshing to sit uninterrupted, one-on-one with each student...I love being able to do that!  Each and every student has shown growth in everything, some large, some small, but every little bit helps.  The smiles are priceless when they see it and hear me praise them.  They are very understanding of their strengths and weaknesses and setting goals is easy. 

Their goal sheets will be sent home in mid-February for you to see.  Below is reading fluency graph. As in the fall, I can send you your student's number to see where they are in comparison to other 2nd graders at Keystone if you request it.  Just email me if interested!  If this picture isn't large enough to see, let me know and I'll send it to you as an attachment.


Math

We've been working hard to understand two digit subtraction in math...and it has been a real struggle for most!!  You'd think I'd be used to this since I'm in my 30th year of teaching, but every year I have to remind myself that they will eventually understand!  So don't be surprised if you've seen a lot of red correction marks on their math papers.  Any help you can give at home will benefit your child. Here's a video I made to explain how I teach it:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsoN9_oWJ9s&feature=em-upload_owner


Dates on Deck

Friday, February 10  12:00 dismiss for Professional Development
Tuesday, February 10   Valentine's Day Party
Wednesday, February 15  1:00 dismiss for Professional Development
Monday, February 20  No School for Professional Development
Tuesday, February 22  Coach Sloth - Author Visit
Wednesday, March 1  1:00 Dismiss - end of 2nd Trimester

No comments:

Post a Comment