Monday, August 29, 2016

Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my blog!

I hope to send out a blog entry each week that will keep you informed about the things we've been doing in the past week, as well as upcoming events in the life of your second grader.  Over the summer, I took a class about using the Ipad in the classroom, and found an app called Seesaw that I also plan to use as a form of communication between the three of us...me, your child, and you!  I haven't had time to get it up and running yet, so stay tuned for more information on how Seesaw works!

We've had a great first week of school.  It's all about procedures and routines during this time of year.  I'm anxious to get going on our second grade curriculum, but my years of experience have told me that I have to invest time in getting rules and expectations established before any real learning can occur.  I hope you ask your child lots of questions about school and what they've learned about me and my expectations.  Many students are struggling with talking more than listening, which is pretty common for this time of year.  Ask your child if he/she is a talker or a listener, and what are the problems we experience when this happens!  I hope they can settle in soon so we don't have so many interruptions.  You can also ask about our one and only rule...

                                                            "Do the right thing!"  

I encourage them to using this phrase in all situations as a way to think through their choices, and become aware of how their actions affect others.



Reading:
We've completed a beginning of the year skills assessment and are learning about expectations for independent work times when students are to Read to Self, or do Work on Writing.  Eventually we will add Word Work, Listen to Reading, and Read to Someone to complete the 5 independent reading stations that kids will be expected to do while I'm leading small group reading lessons.  We're also working our way through five review lessons in our phonics program.

Math:
I hope you saw the 5 minute addition and subtraction timing results that came home last week, on Friday.  Don't be too alarmed if your child didn't get very many done or correct, as that's pretty typical for the beginning of the year.  Any fact practice you can provide at home will surely benefit them on future tests.  We do a quick 1 minute timing 3 times a week; and the 5 minute timing is once a moonth.  Basic facts are a huge component of our math curriculum and quick recall of them will really help in all aspects of math.

Parent Partnership Night:
A note will come home tomorrow about Keystone's Parent Partnership night that teachers are hosting on Wednesday, September 7 at 6:30 pm.  We will share teaching strategies that we use, as well as ideas of what you can work on at home in the areas of reading and math.  Below is a link to the note that will be sent home tomorrow.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1S0Qs0_XdS5Rb0t_wfHywgA-dgbl1If0i9ieWy6gjB2o/edit#slide=id.g64d06f2ac_0_2


Dates on Deck:
Monday, September 5  Labor Day - No School
Wednesday, September 7  1:00 Dismiss for Teacher's Professional Development
                                           6:30 pm Parent Partnership Night

No comments:

Post a Comment