Wednesday, September 30, 2015

September 30

Math

The Topic 2 math assessment (addition strategies) went home with kids today.  Attached to the test is the form showing how your child did on each part of the test.  I also asked each child to orally explain how to do two strategies that we've been working on in topic 2.  If "no" is circled on either of those statements, here's an explanation of the strategies so you can try to help them learn them at home:

Near Doubles:  Use a known doubles fact to help you figure out a near double fact.  For example, if the near double is 6 + 7, use 6 + 6 = 12 then add 1 more because 7 is 1 more than 6.  Of course, first the student has to know their doubles!

Make a Ten:  This strategy is a bit more confusing, but it works well for facts that have a digit close to 10, like 6 + 9.  You would need 1 more to make the 9 a 10, so take 1 from the 6, making it a 5. Then add 10 + 5.  We like tens because they are pretty easy to add!  To make this a quick strategy, they have to know how many are needed to make a 10, as well as keep track of taking away that number from the other digit.  It's a good strategy, but can be confusing for some.  We practice showing it with tens frames and counters, which can be sent home if you let me know you'd like to use them!

I want the kids to learn strategies like these for figuring out basic facts instead of just memorization, but if they already have them memorized, that's great!  Whatever works for quick recall of the basic facts!

When we were learning all the ways to make a ten, we watched a snappy little You Tube video that the kids really liked.  Here's the link if you'd like to watch it with them at home:



Standards Based Grading

Recently you received information on your child's beginning of the year testing data.  I know it's hard to wade through all the information...I'm still learning a lot myself!  My fellow teacher, Anna Upah, shared her blog post where she explained it to her first grade parents and gave them some graphics to help with understanding.  With her permission, I'm sharing her post with you:



Newsletter

Old habits die hard and I still feel the need to send home an old fashioned paper copy of my monthly newsletter that I've been doing for 26 years (hopefully I'll have it ready by Friday).  Attached will be a book order from Scholastic Books.  Please order online or send a check, as I cannot accept cash payment.  Scholastic is a great resource for children's books, and with your order I get bonus points to use to help me stock my classroom library!  Let me know if you love or hate the monthly paper-copy newsletter...I'd like to hear your feedback!

Dates on Deck:

Friday, October 2  Breakfast Buddies (7:30) and Bloomsbury Farm field trip
Wednesday, October 7  1:00 dismiss - Professional Development
Monday, October 12  Picture Retakes
Monday, October 19  No School - Professional Development
Wednesday, October 28  1:00 dismiss - Professional Development
Friday, October 20  Fall Festival class party - more info about treats, games, and decorations will be sent home soon!






No comments:

Post a Comment